Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Need more advice!!

Alright blogger friends, I need your advice again! I was wondering what kinds of things you brought on your trips to ET that came in handy. Also stuff for the airplane that I may not think of! I am starting to get my head around this exciting trip and thought man I need help! Even stuff you brought to wear... did you just wear running shoes the whole time? Do I need fancy shoes?? And fancy clothes?? Yikes!

And thank you so much for your advice on where to stay, it really helped!!!!

4 comments:

Zoe and John said...

Hi Michele,

I wrote some blog entries after our trip in December which might help you out:
www.ourethiopianbabiesthescherersadopt.blogspot.com. If you have any other questions feel free to email me. Zoe

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just got back last week.

I only took items in my carry on and used my 2 checked bags for ALL donations.

We were there 8 days. I took 2 pair of jeans, one long skirt, one pair of dress pants (for church and court), then several t-shirts, 2 long sleeve t-shirts, hoodie, pj's, shirt for court/church, tennis shoes, dress shoes for church/court, one pair of non-tennis shoes, but casual, socks and undies for each day.

Yes, you can fit this all in your carry on, but if you are flying ET air, watch the weight! The max is 15 pounds and mine was 18 and they took it from me when I got to DC. They did not charge me, though. I then had all other person items in a backpack (they did not weigh it).

In the backpack I had:

reading material, snacks, medicine, laptop, Ipod, and liquids

The atmosphere in Addis is very casual. I have been there 3 times now and feel very comfortable wearing flowing long skirts and jeans.

The weather was mid 70's, so when out in the sun, it can get a little warm, but not bad at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Also, our daughter is in House #2. So I might have pics if yours is there!

You can email at: laura@brightontheirworld.org

Congratulations!
laura

Heather Jaworski said...

Hi Michelle!!! I am not sure if you remember me from TC but we have begun our second adoption, this time from ET. I love your blog and am so excited for you!!! Where did you find your blog template???? You must be over the moon to meet your daughter!!!! I cannot wait to watch your blog as your story unfolds!!! Congrats!!!!

The Busters said...

Hi Michele! So exciting that you guys are traveling soon!
I did a blog post after we brought our son home on the second trip with packing advice. Here it is:
http://ourlittlebuster.blogspot.com/2010/09/packing-advice.html
It was focused on when you are there with the little one. In terms of the first trip we just brought casual clothes and then 1-2 nice things for court and church. Addis is very casual and even when you go out to dinner you can dress casual. We were there during rainy season so I packed a lot of stuff to layer because it was cold in the morning and at night. And yes I just wore sneakers the whole time. Feel free to email me if you have any questions!! Happy Packing!